Grade 2 Math Tutor
Second grade math is an essential building block in the basic mathematical concepts and it is also instrumental in creating a positive experience for your child so that they have a great attitude towards math. Providing in-home personalized math tutoring in the safe and comfortable environment of your home will help to promote healthy attitudes and math skills.
Our one-on-one tutors work with the local curriculum. In the second grade, students must master not only important mathematical concepts, but also the following academic skills:
- Problem solving.
- Reasoning skills including pattern recognition, classification and the investigation of conjectures through discussion.
- Reflecting and monitoring their thinking i.e. by explaining to others why they think their solution is correct.
- Ability to use a variety of concrete, visual, and electronic learning tools and appropriate computational strategies to solve problems.
- To relate mathematical ideas and procedures to everyday contexts.
- Make basic representations of simple mathematical ideas.
- Communicate mathematical concepts orally, visually, and in writing.
Jump To a Grade Level:
Grade 2 Math Sample Curriculum
Number Sense and Numeration
- Count from 1-200 and write numbers in the correct order including money to 100c
- Count forward by 1’s, 2’s, 5’s, 10’s, and 25’s to 200
- Counting backwards from 50
- Solve addition and subtraction of one- and two-digit whole numbers
- Start multiplication and division
- Read and write numbers up to twenty
- Understanding which fractal parts are bigger than and smaller than
- Regroup fractions into the whole
- Estimate, measure, and record length, perimeter, area, mass, and capacity
- Tell time to the quarter hour and understand the relationship between days, weeks months and years
- Use a thermometer to measure temperature
- Compare, describe, and order objects
Geometry and Spatial Sense
- Identify two-dimensional and three-dimensional shapes and group them according to the number of sides they have
- Create patterns from geometric shapes
- Describe and represent the locations of objects on a map and draw maps
Patterning and Algebra
- Identify, describe, extend, and create growing and shrinking patterns
- Demonstrate an understanding of the concept of equality by partitioning whole numbers to 18 in a variety of ways i.e. 9+9=10+8
- Determine the missing number in addition and subtraction equations to 18
Data Management and Probability
- Collect, read and organize data using charts, concrete graphs, pictographs, line plots, simple bar graphs, and label them on the horizontal axes
- Describe and predict probability in everyday situations using impossible, unlikely, less likely, equally likely, more likely and certain